I've installed ClamAV on RedHat ES3 many times without issue.  This is my
first installation on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and I have to use many
configure switches just to get the file paths to come out right.  I'm not
sure if the problem is due to ClamAV version 0.88, SuSE ES9 or something I'm
doing wrong.

When installing previous ClamAV versions on RedHat ES3, I would just use
./configure with no switches and everything would end up where I wanted it:
clamd.conf in /etc, the defininition files in /var/lib/clamav, etc.  Doing
the same (prior version of ClamAV though) on SuSE ES9 yields clamd.conf in
/usr/local//etc.

I have to use the following to get everything where I want it:

./configure --datadir=/var/lib/clamav  --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-clamav
--with-user=amavis
 --with-group=amavis --sharedstatedir=/var/lib/clamav
--localstatedir=/var/lib/clamav
 --prefix=/ --with-dbdir=/var/lib/clamav

I've tried it with and without the --with-user and --with-group parameters
and as expected, that doesn't affect the file path problem.

Here are my questions:

Is this difference due to a later version of ClamAV, the difference between
RedHat / SuSE or something I''m doing wrong?

What is the difference between the --datadir and --with-dbdir
witches?  --Datadir doesn't affect placement or the av definition files
and --with-dbdir does.

Is there a simpler method (such as setting an environment variable or
something) that will cause the files to get installed correctly?

Thanks very much!