-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chuck Swiger
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:30 PM
To: ClamAV users ML
Subject: Re: [Clamav-users] Disable Specific Document Scanning

Jason Haar wrote:
> Charles Swiger wrote:
>> However, also please note that sometimes people have Excel or Word
>> docs that were infected and then cleaned, which still contain some
>> viral fingerprints that ClamAV recognizes.  If you can quarantine some
>> of these files and double-check with some other viral scanners, you
>> might find that ClamAV is actually blocking these files for good
>> reason....
> I think sometimes it has no good reason to block. If it's "clean", then
> it doesn't contain a virus... It means ClamAV is using a bad signature
> to classify the virus.
>
> We've had this before too - and yes I do upload them as FPs. The problem
> we had was a user was infected, was cleaned using product X, but the
> "cleanup" left behind the bit that ClamAV used to detect the virus. That
> user then used that Excel spreadsheet to create all new spreadsheets
> they made from then on, and every time one of them hit our systems, we'd
> block it - even though it really contained no ACTIVE virus (if you want
> to put it that way).

Having content which was generated by malware appear and be widely
duplicated
isn't a great situation, even if the document is not actively malicious.

It's why scanning with some other tools to see whether it is harmful is a
good
idea, because in some cases, it still is-- not all virus-cleaning utils
actually succeed, especially for some of the wackier macro viruses.

--
-Chuck