Bart Silverstrim wrote:

On Nov 9, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Jim Redman wrote:

Folks,

I have to say, of all the lists I subscribe to, the vocal members of this list are the most arrogant and insulting. However, I consider comments such as Luca Gibelli's, bandwidth wasting, "We are happy to suffer this loss." and Dennis Peterson's "His specific problem is he lacks the skill to install and manage the product" reflect more about the person making the comment, rather than the target.

You're forgetting one detail that probably was the most provoking, though. He started right off saying he "cherishes his ignorance".

How many of our problems as sysadmins come from user ignorance? How much worse is it when you have to deal with another peer's ignorance, and worse yet, WILLFUL ignorance? "Hi, I'm hired to do a complicated and skillful job as a sysadmin, but want to know nothing about how or why this software stuff works...can you help me? By, like, doing it for me?"

Maybe i missed it, but where in his original email did he ask anyone to help him by doing something for him? From what i can see, he didnt even ask for help at all. The way i took it was:

Gee, I downloaded this package for clamav and installed it and now there are all sorts of other things that still need to be done to get it working correctly. Maybe clamav developers could work with the package maintainers to make this process go more smoothly?

To which he received responses like:

Your an idiot.
We dont care.
Shut up and stop posting crap like this to the list.

To me it seems like everyone missed the point and made their own assumptions as to what he *really* meant. Maybe the title was worded poorly, or his post looked too similar to others that people have seen in the past and it triggered an immediate negative response from them, or maybe its just that some people on this list havent gotten any lately and are grumpy - who knows. But to berate someone like this over a post they made which i believe was interpreted incorrectly to begin with is completely wrong. I mean cmon, the subject clearly states its directed at packagers. Give the guy a flippin break.

-Jim