On Nov 10, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Jim Maul wrote:

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
On Nov 9, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Daniel J McDonald wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:24 -0500, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
On Nov 7, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Jim Redman wrote:

Chris,

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Jim Redman wrote:

My observation is that of all the modern packages ClamAV fails to
install and run successfully and securely without operator
intervention.  I think that this should be refined to reference
Fedora packages and perhaps not all of them.

I don't use Fedora - I use Mandriva. And my experience has been that the RPMS provided by Mandriva do allow you to run out of the box with very little tweaking. That is important to me - I manage about 20 linux
servers, but my primary responsibility is 196 routers and firewalls.
I'm not ignorant of the build process - I learned how to build SRPM's working with this package - I merely don't have the time to mess with
it.  So, I understand the sentiment.

There are a number of reasons why I consider this a bad thing
(other opinions have been expressed by others on the list).

4) (Altruism) It limits the adoption of ClamAV which in turn
increase the number/penetration of viruses.

Maybe the project doesn't WANT people who have problems with their
installs caused by willful ignorance...just a thought.

I personally think that's a poor attitude.  Clueless newbies are
important too. I personally will dump a project that takes too long to
get working at all.  As long as I can see progress it will keep my
interest.
Cluelessness is one thing. Willful cluelessness is another. There is a difference. What you're talking about is hassle...if it's too much hassle, you move on to something else. That's fine and dandy. But there are many many many people who are using, for example, ClamAV without throwing a fit because there's too much in the conf file to set up. The distinction is you can get frustrated and ask for help, or you can get frustrated and bitch about it rather than read the comments in the conf file. There's a lot, it can be tedious to a degree, but you're not having to go through source code to figure out how to get it to work. I have found that *overall*, with all the different distros out there, it is impossible to come up with a one-size-fits-all solution but the config files and guides for installation and configuration on the Internet are enough that you need not invest a lifetime to getting this one project working. As I've said in other posts, the problem (as I see it) isn't necessarily that he's clueless, or a newbie. It's the attitude he approached the group with, the attitude of "I don't know anything and want to stay ignorant. You should make it so I can stay ignorant but get this to work." This is something that can easily ruffle some feathers, especially when so many in the group have started in that position but learned how to get it to work. It's also shocking for a sysadmin to declare that they want to stay ignorant of the equipment they're using..."I want to be a rocket scientist, but don't want to take that nasty physics stuff...you should make it easier!"

I understand completely what you are saying and also agree with it. However, regardless of how clueless the rocket scientist wants to remain (which, yes, is a poor attitude), IF there is room for improvement or IF some part of the process CAN be made easier, shouldnt it?

Sure.  Taking into consideration other factors.
A) Pay them for the features...this is all volunteer work.
B) No one is proposing how this is to be done. What distro do you aim for? What MTA? Integration with another spam scanner? How to make this simpler without crippling or making more difficult getting it to work with particular setups? C) How can you simplify or get this to work to the point where a user who states right out that it's too hard for him to read a conf file is able to use it? That is NOT what one would expect from a sysadmin doing his job.

This has nothing to do with the fact that he wants to remain ignorant. It really seems as if everyone read that part and COMPLETELY missed what he was really trying to say and instead focused on blasting the guy because of his willingness to remain ignorant.

He was saying he is too ignorant to configure his install for his mail server setup and wanted other people to do it for him rather than have him read the config file.

That probably irks a lot of people who use ClamAV with minimal effort and also have to support people who have this guy's type of attitude because he is running a server that takes some knowledge and skill yet willfully remains ignorant on the details of how to properly do so. For all the whining about poor attitudes from the list...well, tough, we have bad days spent supporting the willfully ignorant! If you're an admin, you should follow the job duties that come with it or go for another job or a job that doesn't take skills. Maintaining servers is a pain in the arse sometimes, but it's PART OF THE JOB. If you're not competent in that area, outsource it or hire more staff that does know something about it.

For example, the Hobbitmonitor project is buried deep on my todo list - There are about 15 "post release" patches that have to be individually applied in a certain order, and I have yet to get it right and have it
compile.  So I ignore it, and think "If I ever get about 4 hours of
un-interrupted time, I'm going to tackle that beast".  Of course, I
don't have 4 hours, so it just gets deeper on the pile, and I never get my monitoring server built, and I never am able to contribute back to
the project by helping other clueless newbies...
Then cut it loose.
This seems to be a hard concept...similar problems crop up, and my response is something along the lines of, "Well, your company isn't hiring enough to properly staff your department or manage the staff properly...if it were truly important, you'd get the time. So either suffer with the lack of XYZ, or have them hire more people, or move to another company that does respect their IT department's role more." "Well, that's not realistic..." "Well, then it sounds like you are going with A, suffer the lack of XYZ. Accept it, quit complaining."
<crickets...>
I'm not saying every project requires you to cut off fingers and chant voodoo incantations to work. I'm just saying that ClamAV isn't rocket science, there are some problems, and your average sysadmin should be able to go through a conf file to configure it and be able to get it to integrate with most MTA's using docs on the Internet with relatively little energy lost. I am tired of the couch sysadmin running mail servers using a black box approach, relaying spam or implementing poor security because they're too damn lazy to actually figure out what running a mail server means, and when someone comes along saying that they have problems XYZ the "real" sysadmin takes their advice and learns what is happening while the couch sysadmin ignores it or complains it's their mail server vendor's fault because they didn't make it simple enough to just run the installer and ignore.

AHA!. This seems to be it. Everyone is pissed off at shitty admins! So forget the fact that they actually might have a valid point one day, lets just insult them and tell them they are stupid and ignore anything that comes out of their mouths. Im sorry for whoever feels this way. Life must be very frustrating for you. Im done here.

He's installing ClamAV. On a server.  On the Internet.  No?

That means that the willfully ignorant is a hazard to everyone else out there.

If you're running a mail server, you're expected to do a certain amount of work to, you know, know what you're doing.

Is this just kind of lost on you? Or do you not see what happens as the clueless pound your mail server with more spam? Granted it's coming from home users in botnets more now, but they are still the ignorant masses for computing...at least they weren't expected to run a mail server, just responsibly use their computer.

You think he has a valid point, that it's too too hard to configure ClamAV? Where is your specific complaint on it? Can you point it out, and suggest something that can be done as a fix without breaking other installations?

HE WISHES TO REMAIN IGNORANT TO THE POINT WHERE HE CAN'T EVEN SPECIFY THE PROBLEM NOR SUGGEST A FIX. What is a reasonable way to make this as braindead simple as possible without breaking other installs or options for people running postfix or sendmail or qmail or procmail or spamassassin (or not)?

He wants to have others make it simpler for him. Goody, he as a point. Let's make it simpler.

How? What specifically is too hard for him to configure that so many others have been able to work around? The simpler installer, as I see it, would still interrogate you for settings specific to your needs...which is still exactly what he doesn't want!!

Am I the only one that sees that there is little value in trying to help him with his message, as it was worded? What he really should have done was just ask for a place to find a prepackaged ClamAV that fits his distro and his mail setup. He didn't even supply that information, though. So what then...ask the developers to hurry up with that telepathic API they've been working on but keeping secret from him?