Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
John Gibbons wrote:
I can't seem to find any best practices on scanning file systems. I am
running a test scan on a 4 gig file system with mostly Oracle database
files
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
From http://clamav.net/abstract.html#pagestart

"Clam AntiVirus is a GPL anti-virus toolkit for UNIX. The main purpose
of this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment
scanning). "

Why would you want to scan Oracle database files? And on HP-UX, on top
of that?

Database objects can include blobs (binary large objects). These can be files including executables, documents, other databases. They can have viruses. In some instances the blob in an internal representation and can be difficult to get to without sql. In other cases blobs can be external storage objects (file system files) and easy to get at. Regardless, there are many reasons one would wish to scan them for viruses.

And why not HP-UX? Or Numa-Q? Or even VAX? I've even had it running on an E-10k.

dp