--As of February 20, 2007 10:02:12 AM +0800, Richard is alleged to have said:

I finally found that error 40 is because of calling an unknown option.
It seems the clamassassin is calling clamscan with something wrong now.
It worked fine, and again works ok since I downgraded to 0.88.7.

Am I the only one having this problem?  I am again using 0.88.7 with 0.90
engine for now, and it is scanning properly again, and finding viruses as
usual.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

From the clamassassin-announce mailing list a couple of days ago:

    There is a compatibility problem when using clamassassin 1.2.3 with
the new ClamAV 0.90 release.  The new ClamAV release has changed some of
the command line options, and one of these changes makes clamassassin
not work correctly when using clamscan.  However, using clamassassin
with clamdscan doesn't seem to have any problems.

<snip />

1) Configure your system to run clamd and using clamdscan in
clamassassin.  (This will give you better performance too!)

2) If you want to remain using clamscan, edit the clamassassin script
and search for the line reading:

CLAMSCANOPT="--no-summary --stdout --mbox"

Change this to:

CLAMSCANOPT="--no-summary --stdout"

Daniel T. Staal