Sean Pinegar wrote:
I trusted clamav for a long time but ran across an interesting problem today. I
received an e-mail from a friend that included a powerpoint. I opened the
powerpoint in linux and wine flagged it as a virus (not sure how wine knew
there was a virus...can anyone enlighten me on that?). I scanned it with clamav
and it said the file was ok. I scanned it with norton and it came up as being
infected. I updated clamAV and tried again, same results..the file was ok. I
was just curious if anyone else has ran into this type of problem? I dont want
to ditch clamAV but i have to do whats best for the business.

-Sean-

Things like this occur frequently, and not just with clamav. If you have a file that is not detected, you should submit it so that a signature can be included in future updates.

Also, whats best for the business is to run multiple virus scanners and not rely on a single one.

-Jim