On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 10:15 -0600, Morgan Smith wrote:
> >> My config differs from yours right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I have
> >> this pointing to the clamd socket as defined by LocalSocket in my
> >> clamd.conf. Double check to make sure that this value in your
> >> amavis.conf and the LocalSocket in your clamd.conf are the same.
> >>
> >> It sounds like you configured everything to use the amavis user. It may
> >> be worth checking the ownership of that directory and file to make sure
> >> that it's consistent with what everything expects them to be.
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply!
> >
> > Yep, they're referencing the same socket file (clamd.ctl is the socket
> > file). As shown here:
> >
> > #grep clamd.ctl /etc/clamav/clamd.conf /etc/amavis/amavisd.conf
> > /etc/clamav/clamd.conf:LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
> > /etc/amavis/amavisd.conf:    \&ask_daemon, ["CONTSCAN {}\n",
> > "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl"],
>
> I once ended up with multiple config files in different places. Is it
> possible that either clam or amavis are using a config file in another
> location (/etc/clamd.conf or /etc/amavisd.conf)? Maybe after editing the
> config files the programs were not restarted and so the changes haven't
> taken effect?
>
> I'm just curious, can you manually use clamdscan successfully? If so,
> then it would seem that it's more an amavis issue than clam. At that
> point their mailing list may be more helpful. You might try to increase
> the $log_level in amavis to provide more information. I would think that
> 2 would be sufficient.
The trick in my case, a MDV distro was to change the clamd user to
amavis in /etc/clamd.conf and clamd is now used happily by amavis. This
may not be the very correct way but it works and so far nothing else
seems to be broken.
The time for scanning e-mail is now a small fraction it used before.
Thomas