Several times yesterday clamd stopped. My daemon watching script
restarted it immediately, but I could not find a reason for the
failures. This was happening on multiple servers so was all the more
puzzling. Add to that the fact that one other server never had the
problem, but it is a fallback smtp server with no MX record. Anyway, in
one of those just before the first cup of coffee moments this morning I
decided to run grep "system error" -A1 against the mail log file and
damn if a pattern didn't jump right out at me. At nearly every point
where clamd quit the message was from a particular user and the relay
was one of messagelab's servers. It would have been at every point
except that this is a common syslogger for several mail servers and
other systems were interleaved.

I blocked the IP of that mail messagelabs relay and clamd quit crashing.
Then, because you can't just block messagelabs servers, I explicitly
blocked mail from the sender's domain and still there were no further
failures. Then I visited the website of the sender and it's a new venue
and seems legit, but appears to be sending out mail that will crash
clamd. That is bad. When I have time I will unjail it and try to grab a
copy of what ever is creating the problem.

If anyone's interested the sending domain is my-management.co.uk.
They're still blocked and there's been no further failures where before
clamd was failing two to three times each hour. I'll work on it again on
Monday.

dp