On Wednesday 19 September 2007 15:28, Roberto Ullfig wrote:
> Rob MacGregor wrote:
> > On 9/19/07, Roberto Ullfig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> We restart sendmail/clamd every morning. This morning this restart
> >> failed on several servers. The startup hung when clamd was trying to
> >> startup. I deleted everything in /var/lib/clamav (database files) and
> >> everything started up just fine.
> >
> > That's nice ;)
> >
> > Maybe you meant to include some actual technical details, like O/S,
> > version of clamav installed etc (and possibly why you restart sendmail
> > and clamd daily)?
>
> Redhat Linux
> clamav 0.91.2
>
> Actually, it doesn't seem related to the clamav restart since some
> servers experienced problems beforehand. We're using sanesecurity sigs
> as well. In several cases, I had to delete all sigs in order to get
> clamd to startup. I then ran freshclam and installed sanesecurity sigs -
> restarted clamd again and had no problem.

Sounds like some sort of file corruption, I run the sanesecurity sigs past
clamscan (with -d) before making them available. I also download them once
for all the servers I maintain and distribute them after they have been
checked by clamscan. This helps reduce the load on sanesecurity whose sigs
are stopping so much rubbish.

--
Bob Hutchinson