Luca Gibelli wrote:
> Hello Todd,
>
>> Check to make sure that your local iptables firewall and any firewall
>> between you and the DNS server does not block TCP port 53 (which is what
>> the fallback proto/port is if the DNS answer is more than 512 bytes).
>
> we put a lot of effort in keeping the size of the RR records under 512
> bytes, because TCP queries put too much load on the authoritative DNS
> servers for clamav.net .

I read that off the FAQ and changed it a couple of weeks ago. Still no
luck.  Thanks for the tip all the same.

>> With no other options, this smells like selinux.
>
> I second that.

Yah... I'm a die hard RedHat fan... but I haven't had time to explore
selinux, so when I build a system, I turn it off.

This system was built in May, freshclam ran well from then till around
the end of September.

I used the rpm from rpmforge until a day or two ago. And now I'm using
the rpm from ATrpms.

Here's something I just noticed... I did a packet sniff (once on
internal interface and once on the external interface) while running a
freshclam.  I did not observe any queries directed to ns1.clamav.net.
During the internal sniff, I looked for dns queries as well... I didn't
see any for clamav.net.

What else can I check out?

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)