Dennis Peterson schrieb:
James E. Pratt wrote:

I can confirm too that Trojan.Downloader.JS.Agent-2 (and 1) hit
load of legitimate sites.

Hello . I ran into this " Trojan.Downloader.JS.Agent-2" issue yesterday
on our web server. When notified, the webmaster replied with "these are
coming from compressed js files using Dean Edwards' javascript "packer"
[http://dean.edwards.name/packer/], which compresses js and usually
reduces the file size by 30-40 percent."

If the principal users of this service are spammers trying to obfuscate their content then I see no reason not to use a tool to block that content. A lesson that has been hard to teach is that when legitimate users create content that is indistinguishable from common spam it will be blocked. That takes into consideration the source - sales and marketing types in any corporation have a particular problem as almost all of what they create could be considered spam by someone. Best effort rules apply. I've never had a manager reverse me on this.

Sorry, but that's completely beside the point.

a) We are not talking about spam filtering here, but about classification
as malware.

b) Applying spam blocking rules to web content is quite inappropriate, as
websites are actively requested, as opposed to spam which is forced on
the recipient through her mailbox slot.

c) Whether "the principal users" of Dean Edwards' JavaScript packer are
spammers is open to debate, although IMHO it doesn't even matter in the
light of a) and b).

Generally speaking, I am quite wary of the increasing tendency of ClamAV
to try and detect spam in addition to malware. These two categories need
to be treated quite differently for many reasons, among them legal ones.
mixing them up like this makes my life and work more difficult. Please
don't do it.

Thanks,
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH                               Tel. +49 228 97199 0