>On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:39:02 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Henrik K wrote:
>
>> Who cares if it scans 100ms or 20ms. I prefer features and stability more
>
>For those of us who use it as an incoming mail scanner (which I seem to
>recall being the primary focus of clam from statements on this list) it
>matters a great deal. The rate of scanning has to keep up with the rate of
>incoming mail, or you have an ever-growing backlog.
>
>Also, the time difference isn't just 100ms vs 20ms -- there are some OLE
>documents that in the past have taken minutes to scan. I think most of these
>problems are solved now, but I wouldn't want to add back any solution that
>increases the time.
>
>Further, signatures are one thing, but in a server environment you do not
>want code to be updated automatically. Code updates usually have to be rolled
>out, tested first on a test server, then put into production.
Chris:

Exactly why we use it here along with Exim and spamassassin. Its one
of a few products that I'm aware of that will integrate with the setup
and work (as of now anyway) well wit them and quickly. We are barely
keeping pace with mail now with 4 dual-core 3GHZ boxes I really don't
want to slow this down or have to add more hardware due to a code
change to make the tarball smaller or whatever the reason is. The goal
should be to maximize the speed of the scanning (at least that has
been the way they have been going in the past along with stability) I
thought.

As for updates, I agree 100% we're in exactly the same position here,
taking automatic updates to signatures is one thing, taking them to
code is quite another. If that occurs or becomes the way clamav works,
I'm sorry to say but the corp. environment I work in will force me to
look at another solution. EVERYTHING here code wise goes through
test/qa/prod system our info security folks would fall over if they
heard this idea, then they'd demand the product get pulled today.

--
===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX