Roberto Ullfig schrieb:
> Somewhat off topic but does someone here know if there's a standard file
> extension that represents a null program. What I mean is that we rename
> some attachment suffixes to .txt but this causes some problems with some
> applications. We'd like to rename the attachments with another suffix,
> one that will never be used for an application (present or future). Does
> anyone know if a standard suffix has been created for just this purpose?

Such a suffix does not and cannot exist. There is no regulation or
assignment authority for file suffixes. Every Windows program can claim
and use any suffix it likes.
What's more, even if a suffix is not assigned to any program by default,
when the user tries to open a file with that suffix on a particular
Windows installation the system will cheerfully offer him or her to choose
a program for opening it, which it will by default permanently associate
with that suffix, and then it isn't unassigned anymore.
So no suffix you try to put aside will ever be safe from being assigned
to an application, either by the application's author or by individual
users.

HTH
T.

--