Derek Currie wrote:
> Greetings folks,
>
> This is a reply to a thread started way back in April of 2008 (when
> it used to have the unfortunate subject line "Non-Windoze Viruses").
>
> Concerning the controversy about whether Clamav has definitions for
> Mac OS X malware, I managed to find the answer is YES, but only sort of.
>
> I has been remarkably hard to find what malware are in Clamav's
> Definitions List. Persistent pounding of the net provided me with the
> answer, which was embedded in the earlier thread. You can to do a
> search for what you want here:

I'm not sure I follow any of what you're saying. It makes no sense. It
is and has always been trivial to know what the virus names are in
ClamAV. But knowing that is nearly worthless just as knowing what the
names of viruses are in Symantec's product. The names you see are
guaranteed to apply only within the product they are found in. There is
no naming standard. The only way to know if an actual virus signature is
in a product is to submit that virus to the product you are curious
about. And even then there's no guarantee because there are variants of
viruses that may or may not have multiple identities as when a single
signature is found in multiple variants. If an AV product discovers
several variants with a single signature there will be only one named
signature where another product may have 5 different signatures that
find only a single variant each.

There are a number of virus signatures in ClamAV that, because they were
found first by the ClamAV people, were named by those same ClamAV
people. It's not like there has always been a virus name clearing house
for day 0 threats.  There is no reason Symantec, TrendMicro, et al, are
going to use that same name. In fact there is very little chance of it.
They don't have a good history of sharing names among themselves. And
how can that even work? All companies that share a common virus name
must develop signatures from the same exact virus in order to ensure
they are all talking about the same virus. What are the chances that's
always going to happen? There is a competitive advantage in not doing
it, in fact. If you're first to market with a new signature you put that
on your front page because you have an exclusive signature. That's free
advertising when all the pundits and news rooms start spreading it around.

There has been no successful attempt to standardize on names for viruses
for which signatures have been found that I am aware of. I don't care
because names are meaningless except to the press. There have been
efforts at creating cross-reference tables for virus names but lordy
what a waste of time.

If you have actual OS X viruses that can be submitted to ClamAV's
signature team then provide them. I run only Mac desktops but run ClamAV
on my Unix MTA's because it's the right thing to do. I've never seen a
virus that targets Mac systems specifically so have no possibility to
contribute to the effort.

It would be very useful to know not what the virus names are, but what
if any resources are committed to locating and identifying Mac malware.
Does the ClamAV group have OS X spam traps running anywhere? Maybe so,
maybe not. If not then you have a legitimate gripe. Do they have Mac
systems to evaluate viruses? Maybe so, maybe not. Again, if not then
there's reason to gripe. If a Mac malware submission comes in on their
web page do they have the capability to evaluate it? I don't know. Do you?

dp