Alex Davidson wrote:

>send myself EICAR test
>virus strings but firstly only 3 of the 7 tests hit my mail server,
>and secondly ClamAV doesn't detect anything, yet the next-level AV
>detects it just fine.

I tried to send the 7 tests to my main address... only 3 arrived

(the clean one - and 2 of the password protected one)

My ISP probably filtered out the others.

I can't see ClamAV detecting these two... as it doesn't know the password to
decide the insides)

eicarpasswd.zip (new! - zip compressed eicar.com with password)
eicarpasswdocr.zip (new! - zip compressed eicar.com with password in image
file)

You could add a signature to detect the above.. but it would ONLY work with the
above EICAR test and the SAME password.

Cheers,

Steve
Sanesecurity