On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:34:58PM -0700, Vincent Li said:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Vincent Li wrote:
>
> # ldd /usr/local/bin/freshclam
>          libclamav.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libclamav.so.5 (0x0fee9000)
>
> # /usr/local/bin/freshclam -V
> /usr/local/bin/freshclam: error while loading shared libraries:
> /usr/local/lib/libclamav.so.5: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0ff73ac4 for
> symbol `fprintf' out of range
>
> Is this still linker problem? If freshclam linked to old libclamav.so.5
> lib produced from clamav-0.94 under /usr/lib , it works fine; if freshclam
> linked to its own libclamav.so.5 under /usr/local/lib, it gave error
> above.

That sounds very much like you've got a non-PIC library on your system
that you keep accidentally linking libclamav to.  Compare the set of
libraries that the two versions of libclamav are linked to, and go from
there.  There's not an easy way to tell if a library was linked with
fPIC, as far as I know, so that makes debugging slightly more difficult.

Good luck,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Electrocution, n.:  Burning at the      |
|  st...@lobefin.net             | stake with all the modern improvements. |