A shot in the dark: is your freshclam really running as user "clamav"?

Fun story: not so long ago I encountered a CentOS system where automatic
update had switched to a ClamAV package from a different repo which had
been compiled to run as user "clam" instead of "clamav". Took me a while
to spot ...

HTH
Tilman