Hi,

We are scanning webhosing-files from a relatively large user-base (~5M) using the clamd-engine and signature databases tweaked for the least possible false-positives.

In this context we have 2 use-cases which apparently aren't met by the current implemetation. In both cases the remedy would boil down to stop clamd from short-circuiting. The current logic AFAICT is "on pattern match report and stop looking" indistinctly of which pattern matched. This means in practice that an "untrusted" pattern could mask a "trusted" pattern and prevent the more severe action associated with the trusted pattern from being triggered. What we would need is to change this behavior (at least for a configurable subset of patterns) so that the "trusted" pattern-match is always reported regardless of any prior "untrusted" match.

Questions:
Am I the only one having this issue?
Am I missing some configuration-switch?
Would anyone be interested in implementing this?
Can anyone point me to where I would look first if I wanted to implement this?

Use Case 1:
"evaluate patterns from third parties"
Our current db only contains a fraction of clamav's official signatures and incorporating more of them under the above "0 FP" policy is a pain in the backside.
Same for LMD (linux malware detect) signatures.

Use Case 2:
"suspicious patterns"
e.g.
".htacces having ErrorDocument poiting to a fully qualified URL"
If the domain of that same url points to the same webspace this is fine, if it is on some sort of domain blacklist it is malicious, everything else has to be checked manually. When I try to implement this logic as a set of signatures, I risk a lot of false-negatives (suspicious pattern hits where trusted pattern would have matched, too). Same goes for "sig for obfuscation-technique" vs "sig for known obfuscated content".

Thanks in advance

P.S.: I know there are workarounds (like: scan twice), but I'm explicitly reaching out here to determine if it would make more sense to fix this issue at the root.

--
Torge Husfeldt

Senior Anti-Abuse Engineer
Zentrales Abuse-Department (1&1 GMX Web.de)

1&1 Internet AG | Brauerstraße 50 | 76135 Karlsruhe | Germany
Phone: +49 721 91374-4795 | Fax: +49 721 91374-2982
E-Mail: torge.husfe...@1und1.de | Web: www.1und1.de

Hauptsitz Montabaur, Amtsgericht Montabaur, HRB 6484

Vorstand: Ralph Dommermuth, Frank Einhellinger, Robert Hoffmann, Andreas
Hofmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Uwe Lamnek, Jan Oetjen, Christian
Würst

Member of United Internet

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder gesetzlich geschützte Informationen
enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail
irrtümlich erhalten haben, unterrichten Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten
Sie diese E-Mail. Anderen als dem bestimmungsgemäßen Adressaten ist untersagt,
diese E-Mail zu speichern, weiterzuleiten oder ihren Inhalt auf welche Weise
auch immer zu verwenden.

This E-Mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient of this E-Mail, you are hereby notified that saving,
distribution or use of the content of this E-Mail in any way is prohibited. If
you have received this E-Mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the
E-Mail.