I run a special Bash-scripted CRON job to pull the 'daily.cvd' files
from a local ClamAV mirror, and don't have much trouble, although I
have to make sure the action is retried a couple of times, in case
the mirror is being updated while the script is being run.

Instead of using a full-blown server like Apache, I use a very simple
little Perl script to deliver the CVD updates via HTTP on a dedicated
port (not 80). This keeps down the overhead on the mirror server
(which isn't *supposed* to be a general Web server), and keeps the
ClamAV stuff isolated.

In case backing out a CVD update is needed, I also keep old versions
of the CVD files around for a while, and write some extra data about
the latest signature set to '/var/clamav'. (Someday I've got to
delete some of the older CVDs, but disk space is cheap).

FWIW, I am attaching 'freshclam.conf' file, my 'getfreshclam' CRON
job script, and my handy 'rename-backup-file-by-its-age' script.