I found that I had another 64-bit openSuSE 12.3 system which has
*only* the 64-bit 'devel' packages installed (i.e., no 32-bit).

On that system, I was able to compile 0.98.3 with no errors (but the
'const' warnings still occur).

Presumably the configure and make procedures didn't get confused by
having both 64 and 32 stuff to deal with.

I didn't try 0.98.4rc1, as I was building for production use.

Paul Kosinski