On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:39 AM, Al Varnell
<alvarn...@mac.com<mailto:alvarn...@mac.com>> wrote:

On Sep 17, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Paul Kosinski
<cla...@iment.com<mailto:cla...@iment.com>> wrote:
I'm running ClamAV 0.98.4, yet when I built it the main.cvd file was
from 17 Sep 2013 (now a year old!), and the daily.cvd files have been
about 28 MB each. Even though I have been running a local mirror on our
LAN for years now, it's really annoying that the daily.cvd files are so
big.

When ClamAV was independent, every new release had an updated
main.cvd, and the daily.cvd files were of modest size. Now the whole
0.98.x series has the same main.cvd, and the daily.cvds keep getting
bigger. The immediately previous main.cvd, in the 0.97.x series, was
shipped with 0.97.3 and was dated Oct 2011.

You are not remembering correctly. That may have been true a decade ago, but
for the last half dozen years or so the main stayed the same for every new
release and was only updated when it was more efficient to update it than to
continue downloading large daily’s. I seem to recall that the last update was
late and that there was approximately a year between updates in earlier days,
but even that varied.

You may be correct in that it’s time for another update, but since it mostly
impacts the load on network servers and not you and other clients, that’s
something the team will need to analyze and decide.

All is correct here.  I’ll check with the team of when the “rollover” will take
place, as this has a substantial impact on the mirror infrastructure, we have
to let the mirrors know before we do it.  As you can imagine, the 7M+ users of
ClamAV all downloading a main.cvd from a mirror is quite heavy on bandwidth if
you aren’t expecting it.

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager