Hi,

I have a clamav-0.99-2 installation on fedora23 and periodically I
receive a message when running clamav-notify-servers after having run
freshclam that reports:

# clamav-notify-servers
clamd server '/var/run/clamd.amavisd/clamd.sock' gave '' response

I have a script that periodically rsyncs the malwarepatrol db to the
/var/lib/clamav directory then runs the clamav-notify-servers. I
believe the problem is related to this occurring at the same time as
the regular freshclam-sleep script running clamav-notify-servers.

Is this the intended behavior for clamd?

I have about 9M signatures now, so it appears to take a long time to
reload the database every time the clamav-notify-servers signal is
sent.

Can someone provide some advice on the best way to do this? I don't
think I can control the timing of the clamav-notify-servers to make
sure it doesn't happen while another instance occurs. Should I just
redirect the output to /dev/null?

Is it common to have 9M entries?

It looks to take about 30s to reload the database:
Feb 21 03:22:15 mail03 clamd[1006]: Reading databases from /var/lib/clamav
Feb 21 03:22:46 mail03 clamd[1006]: Database correctly reloaded
(8888331 signatures)
Feb 21 03:22:46 mail03 clamd[1006]: Client disconnected (FD 23)

This is on a six-core 3Ghz system on SSD disks.

[root@mail03 clamav]# ls
badmacro.ndb                 foxhole_filename.cdb  phishtank.ndb
   spamattach.hdb
blurl.ndb                    foxhole_generic.cdb   porcupine.hsb
   spamimg.hdb
bofhland_cracked_URL.ndb     hackingteam.hsb       porcupine.ndb
   spam.ldb
bofhland_malware_attach.hdb  javascript.ndb        rogue.hdb
   spearl.ndb
bofhland_malware_URL.ndb     junk.ndb              safebrowsing.cvd
   spear.ndb
bofhland_phishing_URL.ndb    jurlbla.ndb           sanesecurity.ftm
   winnow.attachments.hdb
my_sigwhitelist.gdb         jurlbl.ndb            scamnailer.ndb
  winnow_bad_cw.hdb
my_sigwhitelist.ign2        lott.ndb              scam.ndb
  winnow.complex.patterns.ldb
my_sigwhitelist.wdb         main.cvd
securiteinfoascii.hdb  winnow_extended_malware.hdb
bytecode.cld                 malwarehash.hsb       securiteinfo.hdb
   winnow_malware.hdb
crdfam.clamav.hdb            malwarepatrol.ndb
securiteinfohtml.hdb   winnow_malware_links.ndb
create_sig.txt               mirrors.dat           securiteinfo.ign2
   winnow_phish_complete_url.ndb
daily.cld                    phish.ndb             sigwhitelist.ign2
   winnow_spam_complete.ndb

I think the commercial securiteinfo databases are entirely too large
and don't perform very well.

Of course I could cut down on the databases, but I'm more interested
in finding out why clamd produces the error message when multiple
signals are sent.

Thanks,
Alex