On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 20:05:27 (CET) Kees Theunissen wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Mark Foley wrote:

> Also specify different values for "LocalSocket", "PidFile" and "LogFile"
> and start a second instance of the clamd daemon using this config file.
>
> < ... >
>
> >Thinking about what the "d" means doesn't help me solve my problem. clamdscan
> >has an option --config-file. I would assume clamdscan would spawn another
> >clamd
> >with the new option file. Is this not the case? Will the currently running
> >clamd
> >be used regardless of the --config-file parameter?
>
> Clamdscan will connect to the socket specified in the config file and
> hence to the right deamon process. The socket specification is probably the
> only parameter from the config that is used by clamdscan.

Kees - thanks for that info. So, basically I'd have to start a new clamd with a
different socket and therefore pointing to a different config file. Not sure
then what the point of the --config-file parameter to clamdscan is ...

Anyway, that's too much fiddling for what I need.  My purpose in this particular
scan is to periodically scan (via cron) the domain Maildir repositories for
viruses not initially caught by the clamav-milter.  This does happen not
infrequently because, I suppose, updated signatures reveal possible virus in old
messages that made it through before those signature were added.

However, Heuristics.OLE2.ContainsMacros (OLE2BlockMacros yes) are ubiquitous in
.xls attachments from usually legitimate senders and would indicate hundreds of
"infected" files in the Maildir folders.

So, what I will do is keep the "OLE2BlockMacros yes" for clamd/clamav-milter for
quarantining such incoming messages (I can manually release legitimate ones
later), but I'll use clamscan (not clamdscan) with the settings shown below for
semi-daily scanning of the Maildir folder without the --block-macros=yes
parameter.  This seems to give me the results I want.

clamscan -a --no-summary --stdout --infected --recursive --allmatch \
  --scan-mail=yes --scan-ole2=yes /home/HPRS/user/Maildir/

Thanks!

--Mark