> On Tue, 7 Nov 2017, Colony.three wrote:
>
>> Since I installed clamd a week ago, I've had to manually create the
>> /run/clamd.scan directory and the clamd.sock file. The clamd daemon is not
>> doing this even though it is running as root.
>>
>> ps aux |grep clamd
>>
>> root 1963 93.0 25.5 345992 258728 ? Rs 11:34 0:02 /usr/sbin/clamd -c
>> /etc/clamd.d/clamd.conf --foreground=yes
>> In its config file is:
>> LocalSocket /run/clamd.scan/clamd.sock
>> LocalSocketGroup virusgroup
>> LocalSocketMode 660
>> FixStaleSocket yes
>> AllowSupplementaryGroups yes
>> ... so I can't imagine why it is not creating its own socket directory and
>> socket. I even rebooted with selinux disabled, but no improvement.
>> When I create its socket it pretends to bind to it, but then -milter can't
>> see clamd. Maybe the problem is with clamd after all.
>>
>> This is a severe problem and it needs to be solved. Nevertheless, if
>> your primary interest for the moment is just getting clamd to work,
>> there is a simple workaround: Tell clamd to bind to a TCP socket on the
>> loopback interface instead of a Unix socket.
>>
>> #LocalSocket /run/clamd.scan/clamd.sock
>> TCPSocket 3310
>> TCPAddr 127.0.0.1
>>
>> It's not as efficient in terms of communication speed, but it doesn't
>> suffer from permissions issues.
>>
>> Alan Stern

Thanks Alan, I may have to do this.

But I'm beginning to gather that the reason clamd is not creating its socket is
that it's still loading current pattern databases.  It's consuming 98% of CPU,
although I'm not seeing any sign of network traffic, which seems odd.  The
signature database (main.cld) is 300MB and daily.cld is 126MB, so maybe that
has something to do with it.  Maybe it's reconciling or something.

I guess I'll move on to other things and see if clamd eventually creates its
own socket without my intervention.  This seems like a severe handicap to
receiving email.  In the clamd@.service I've niced it so I can be doing other
things.