Hi Teo Peishen,

ClamAV is a command-line based program so the learning curve is a little high
for setup.  One of our goals going forwards after our next version release is
to make ClamAV easier to work with, but for the time being it’s a little
cumbersome.  If you’re fairly adept with command line programs on Windows or
Linux, stay around and try out ClamAV.  If you’re just looking for a free
antivirus product that works out-of-the-box, you may want to try Immunet.

If you want to keep playing with ClamAV on Windows, I recommend using
ClamAV-0.100.0-beta.  This version has configuration files that are written
with Windows in mind (older versions have the Unix ones which won’t work
without modification).  The 0.100.0-beta version also sets up the database
directory for you.

The basics of ClamAV usage are:
1. Configure the virus definition updater, Freshclam.
a. Start by copying the C:\Program
Files\ClamAV\conf_examples\freshclam.conf.sample
to C:\Program Files\ClamAV\freshclam.conf.
b. Modify C:\Program Files\ClamAV\freshclam.conf to remove or comment out the
“Example” line.
This line exists to force users to read the configuration files themselves so
they don’t make assumptions about the way ClamAV is configured.  I realize it’s
not a friendly way to do that and we’re investigating ways to improve
configuration set up in the future.   Again, if you’re using ClamAV 0.99.3 or
older, you’ll have to modify a lot of fields in the configuration file such as
the file paths so they make sense for Windows.

2 (0.99.3 only). On ClamAV v0.99.3 and earlier you may need to create the
C:\Program Files\ClamAV\\database directory by hand.  In v0.100.0-beta, the
database directory should already exist.

3. Freshclam is the program to update your virus definitions, and it’s time to
update those definitions.  Open an elevated command prompt:
a. Open the Start menu.
b. Type “cmd”.
c. Right click on “cmd.exe” and select “Run as Administrator”
d. Using the elevated command prompt, run freshclam.exe. This will update your
virus definitions.  The command is something like:
C:\Users\Micah> "C:\Program Files\ClamAV\freshclam.exe"

4. Now you can scan stuff.  Keep the command prompt open.  You’ll want it to
run scans.  You basically have 2 options for how to scan stuff.
a. You can scan things directly using Clamscan.exe.  It may take a minute for
the virus definitions to load before the scan begins.
Example usage:
C:\Users\Micah> "C:\Program Files\ClamAV\clamscan.exe”
"C:\Users\Micah\Documents”
b. -or- You can scan things indirectly, by running the ClamD.exe scanning
engine continuously, and [in a different command prompt] trigger scans using
ClamDScan.exe.  This option has the benefit of loading the virus definition
database once when you start ClamD.exe, and then any file or directory you scan
with ClamDScan.exe will be scanned immediately.
To use ClamD.exe, you will need to set up the clamd.conf file in the same way
you set up freshclam.conf.
Example usage:
C:\Users\Micah> "C:\Program Files\ClamAV\clamd.exe”
In another cmd.exe:
C:\Users\Micah> "C:\Program Files\ClamAV\clamdscan.exe”
"C:\Users\Micah\Documents”

That’s it for the basics.
For more information about how to use each of the ClamAV programs, use the
“--help” command line options.
Do please note that the default configuration for ClamAV will notify you about
infected files, but it will not quarantine or delete them by default.

Cheers,
Micah

Micah Snyder
Software Engineer