Hi there,

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018, Len Sanschargrin wrote:

... I'm looking for any testing or stats on potential overhead can
be associated with running ClamAV. Even just anecdotal observations
can help us to set expectations and of course any additional
guidance is appreciated!

Firstly, as others have said, if you want more detail, provide more.

Secondly, search the archives - particularly for messages from me, as
I'm sure some of my posts to the list will interest you.  If you do
not wish to search archives, then set your expectations very low and
maybe you won't be disappointed.  Our ClamAV installation scans mail,
and ClamAV gets to see only messages which are not blocked by the less
resource-intensive filters, such as those based on DNS configuration,
SMTP behaviour, geographic location, domain names, ASN/IP, DNSBL/RBL.
ClamAV databases here use around 670MBytes of ECC RAM, and clamd uses
roughly one second of 2.7GHz Opteron CPU scanning a typical message,
which would in our case average about 200-500kB and probably contain a
PDF file.  A reload of the ~40 third-party databases takes a couple of
minutes or so, during which time clamd is unable to perform scanning;
our mail server is quite lightly loaded, so that is not an issue here.
I've been using ClamAV for about 15 years.  I consider the third-party
databases in general, and the Sanesecurity offerings in particular, to
be what makes ClamAV worth the resources that it uses.  Even then I'd
never rely entirely on ClamAV for protection of Windows boxes, because
its virus detection rate is in my experience poor - low tens percent.

Thirdly, I'm on the digest list.  Please pay attention to mailing list
etiquette and trim your posts properly.  Accusing people of wasting
your time when you're in the process of doing the same thing to others
on the list (and after AFAICT seven and a half hours as a subscriber)
probably won't help you to achieve your objective, and certainly won't
win you many friends.

--

73,
Ged.