On Aug 21, 2018, at 12:32 PM, G.W. Haywood
<cla...@jubileegroup.co.uk<mailto:cla...@jubileegroup.co.uk>> wrote:

Hi there,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, Joel Esler wrote:

The amount of people using ClamAV version 0.90 and below is
surprising as well.

That's not really surprising to me.  Most of them probably don't even
know that they're running it, and those who do could easily be lying
as it's trivial to forge a User-Agent string.

Especially given what's happened in the past to users of old versions,
if there is any surprise it's that you're still serving files to them.
In my view it would be perfectly reasonable to block them.  It might
even save you some money.

We have blocked people that are 0.80 and below, to see if anyone brings it up
(to which, I think this list would violently react with something akin to "You
are running 13 year old AV?").  No one has, publicly or privately.  We'll
probably proceed with a blog post stating that we're blocking everyone below
the version that introduced diff'ing (0.93.3).  Also rate limiting people that
are attempting to download the main.cvd every 1 minute has helped.

The good news is, the top ten successful download versions (by User-Agent) are
within the last 4 or 5 releases.

(0.99.4 is our largest deployed version, followed by 0.100.1, for those of you
that are curious)

--
Joel Esler
Sr. Manager