Well definitely a permissions issue, my guess is that you used a binary
installation.
Make sure the user that’s running freshclam has permissions to write to
/private/var/log/freshclam.log

Personally, I usually just use Homebrew, https://brew.sh/ <https://brew.sh/>
That will copy it to /usr/local/var/log/freshclam.log under the user that
installed.

For multiple users I’ll run clamdscan under root, but that comes with it’s own
issues for notifying users.
Someone forked my work and just decided to email users which works.

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.
P: 610-429-8300