If it is a big concern you can use the split command to create  "splits" of the suspect file. Split accepts various size arguments (bytes, lines...) and will create as many files as it takes to split the entire large file. These can be scanned individually and discarded when done. There is a risk of a split happening in the middle of a section that might match a signature but that is small. A work around is to split a file, scan it, delete the splits, then split it a second time using a different split size and repeat the scan.

This is obviously tedious and works best on static files. There's always a way if you don't mind the effort. It is easily scriptable.

dp