Yes - the extension can be one or the other. The other thing to check is the file ownership and permissions, and finally to search your clamd.log file (or what ever it is called on your system) for "FOUND". If it is a useful signature source your logs should indicate clamd is finding targets from the safebrowsing signature file. In your freshclam log you should see the safebrowing file is being updated from time to time. My own system, with rare exception, only ever finds Sane Security signatures, and most http links are caught by my milter via dns-based URLBL blacklists before it sends the messages to Clamd.

dp