Hi there,

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

I am running CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core) with ClamAV installed.
How frequent ClamAV scan should be run? is it once per day.

We cannot know anything about how you use your system if you do not
tell us.  For example it may not be connected to a network, in which
case worrying about viruses might be pointless.  Or you may allow any
random Internet user to upload files to it, in which case you should
probably be looking for Windows/Mac/Amiga/PET viruses as well as those
likely to affect Linux (in case your system becomes a vector spreading
malware to the rest of the planet...).  But you would probably only be
looking in certain areas of your system - those to which you allow the
uploads, for example.  You might also want to think about firewalling.

So please, tell us more.  Then we can help more.

I am running the below command.
#clamscan --infected --recursive /

Do not do this on a Linux system.  You need to learn more about your
system before you attempt to use tools like ClamAV on it.  There are
directories on a Linux system (such as /dev, /proc and /sys) which
should never be scanned in this way - you risk upsetting your system
if you attempt to scan them recursively.

Do i also need to invoke freshclam before running clamscan to update AV
Database?

My guess would be that most people who use ClamAV on Linux and similar
operating systems will use a tool such as 'cron' to automatically run
freshclam a few times per day.  There will probably be no point in
running it more often than that, because the published databases which
contain signatures are updated in a similar time frame.  Of course we
don't know if you're doing things with your system which might require
special consideration, but you're going to tell us about those things...

--

73,
Ged.