Regexes can be slow or even extremely slow to apply, depending on the
implementation. Backtracking is the worst, perhaps taking exponential
time, but often is cut off by artificial limits.

Does ClamAV perchance precompute Deterministic Finite Automata for the
regexes? These run fast, but take time exponential in regex length to
set up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression#Implementations_and_running_times

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 00:56:04 +0000