On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:42:06 +0000
"Joel Esler \(jesler\) via clamav-users" <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

> I’m a fan of the thought of removing the user manual completely from the
> downloaded packages and including a link to docs.ClamAV.net.   Since that’s
> more dynamic.

I think that's a bad idea for three reasons:

First, the Website might be (temporarily) inaccessible.

Second, the machine running ClamAV may be blocked from accessing the Internet
in general. E.g., our mail server runs ClamAV, but is explicitly blocked from
general outbound Internet access by IPtables (except for the few anycast IP
addresses needed for DB updates). It's an application of the "principle of
least privilege".

Finally, if the documentation is "dynamic", it presumably is for the latest
release, probably the latest "official" release. If that is the case, how can
somebody use those docs to diagnose a problem with a slightly older release
that's still supposed to be usable? Aren't most problems due to
misunderstanding, bad configuration or other user caused issues that won't be
solved by simply upgrading? In other words, aren't the docs really specific to
a particular release? (This is especially important for beta releases like
0.104.)