On 3/16/2022 10:09 AM, Joel Esler via clamav-users wrote:

On Mar 16, 2022, at 5:35 AM, Gary R. Schmidt <grschm...@acm.org> wrote:

On 16/03/2022 20:19, Christoph Moench-Tegeder via clamav-users wrote:
## Joel Esler via clamav-users (clamav-users@lists.clamav.net):
Can’t use wget.
Looks like "can't use anything which doesn't look like a web browser",
as BSD fetch hits the 403, too.
That's a major PITA on the BSD side (just like openSuse), but it
was working just fine at the time of the 0.104.2 release (and all
the time prior to that). Is there any reason behind making the source
(not talking about the database files) inaccessible like that?
Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
neglect, ignorance, or incompetence."

With the added FLOSS variant, "or trying to show just how much smarter they are
than everybody else.”

It was done because there are people that download the entire ClamAV package
from the same every every 1 minute and do a complete reinstall.

Why not simply block the IP addresses that are doing excessive downloads?  There can't be that many people who are doing constant rebuilds.

The system I use for building ClamAV has no GUI.  I download the files by grabbing the URL from my desktop and then pasting it into a wget on the build machine.  Am I going to have to make wget spoof its user-agent every time I need to update ClamAV?  What happens when the people you were complaining about start doing the same thing?

--
Bowie