Hi All,

Grateful for any advice, and apologies in advance for the necessarily
detailed message below.
I recently purchased a Western Digital MyCloud Ex2 Ultra Personal Cloud/NAS
device.  The firmware of this device includes an app store of installable
third party products including what they call Anti Virus Essentials.  This
turns out after some investigation to be Clam Anti Virus.

The device runs a flavour of Linux, and the configuration I chose has 6TB of
storage, which I have configured as a single volume.
Specifications from the WD website at
https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/network-attached-storage/wd-my
-cloud-expert-series-ex2-ultra#WDBVBZ0060JCH-EESN say:
"Upgraded with the powerful Marvell ARMADA 385 1.3GHz dual-core processor,
you'll get ultra-fast transfer rates for high performance streaming. It also
comes with 1GB of DDR3 memory, so you can multitask with ease."

When I set up the device, I noticed the Anti Virus Essentials app as an
installable option.  It hadn't occurred to me that I needed an AV product on
a device of this nature, but once you're aware that it exists, it feels like
tempting providence to ignore it.  I therefore installed it.  However,
running the configuration as delivered by the firmware to do a full scan
takes several weeks to complete.  I gave up when it had been running for 2
weeks and had only reached 29%, most of which appeared to be scanning its
own libraries.  A lengthy exchange of email messages between myself and WD
support, suggested turning off other applications such as streaming, while
the scan was running, and eventually yielded the advice that as this is a
third party product, I should engage with the third party supplier.

My questions, with many thanks to anyone still reading this are:
1. Is Clam Anti Virus appropriate and/or necessary for an environment such
as this where most of the data is actually backup files generated by the
Windows10 Backup And Restore application.
2. Is the device under-powered to run Clam AV over this amount of data
(currently approximately 3TB including music files for streaming).
3. As a total Newbie to Clam AV is there anything I can do to optimise
performance on my device?

Regards and thanks,

Tim Pennick