"Ian D. Stewart" wrote:

> Processor: 75MHz Pentium
> Memory: 16 MB Physical; 64 MB swap
> Hard Drive: 1.2 GB WD Caviar w/ ~150 MB free
>
> By compiling each class individually, the compiler compiles that single
> class, along with any immediate dependencies, then stops, releasing
> allocating resources.  This results in a both a much cleaner and faster
> (or, in my case, achievable) build process.

In my experience (on machines with more memory), jikes and javac will build a
large project much faster if you specify everything on one command than if
you try to compile each source file individually. This is because they cache
type information for other classes in memory rather than having to reload,
parse, and verify all the source file's dependencies every time. I've seen
build times go down from over an hour to less than 5 minutes after making
this change.

I can see how it could cause problems on small systems, however. Perhaps
building package-at-a-time, rather than the entire project, would be a good
compromise?

regards

  [ bryce ]