On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:31:33PM +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
> Hi,
>     Thanks for the answers.
>
> Yes, I mean rather Java VMs as seen as belonging to seperate categories
> according to their licensing requirements.
>
> Yet, the information you provide seems to be in contraditction somewhat
> with what they have at
> http://sablevm.org/wiki/License_FAQ

Microsoft for a while ran a 'Get the Facts' campaign, where their
executives claimed the GPL was a cancer, and would magically infect
all so called 'intellectual property' of companies, if they don't take
a lot of care to avoid using GNU/Linux. SCO for a while ran a campaign
where they claimed that the GPL was unconstitutional, unamerican, and
aiding terrorists. You can find it on the internet, in written form.
That does not make the claims above by Microsoft and SCO true.

The Internet is a big place. One of its strengths is that it allows
everyone to publish content easily, even content outside of their area
of expertise. That puts the burden on the reader to disseminate FUD
from fact, in particular if they want to make business decisions
based on that information.

If you are looking for facts on how the GPL works, the FSF is the
authoritative source. If you are looking for facts on how the GPL
works in the context of GPLd runtimes, the FSF and the authors of
such runtimes are an authoritative source.

If you are looking for uninformed opinions on other free
software projects' licensing choices made by non-lawyers, I am sure
the Internet has got some of that too. It's up to you how much credit
you give it, though.

cheers,
dalibor topic