Hi Casey,

Am Dienstag, den 31.01.2006, 12:37 -0800 schrieb Casey Marshall:
> On Jan 31, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Roman Kennke wrote:
>
> > Hi Brian, hi list,
> >
> >> Yea, I think the point for me would be to keep Classpath's java
> >> hackers
> >> out of the business of writing native code, and especially out of the
> >> business of porting native code for such common idioms as generic
> >> file
> >> operations, network operations, etc.
> >
> > BTW, Torsten, the man who first wrote the target native layer, mostly
> > works on native code and porting of this to platforms you would not
> > dream of.
>
> That is arrogant. I'm sure everyone here who hacks on Classpath has
> worked with interesting technologies, and are all great engineers,
> each in his own right.
>
> So let's stop measuring cocks here, OK?

Sorry, I didn't want to sound arrogant or whatnot. I am only a bit upset
about this braindead discussion again. I get the impression that there
is a general opposition against real portability concerns within the GNU
(Classpath?) project. Correct me if I am wrong. There certainly are
parties that have portability demands that go beyong posix. Granted,
Aicas is a commercial party and cannot publish every port. There is also
Kaffe, which is 100% GPL and now also suggest something similar like the
target layer, only somewhat nicer, and again it seems to turn out to be
a fight against windmills.

But after all, that is what we have the VM interface for and I for
myself don't want to discuss C issues anymore and instead concentrate on
getting the VM interface into a good shape (it already is IMO, needs
some tweaks though) and let people with different opinions on native
code fork/implement their own stuff below the VM interface.

Cheers, Roman