Hi Raif,

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 15:02 +1100, Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> while working on the jarsigner tool, i am seeing the Manifest file being
> generated by both JDKs 1.4 and 1.5, is using a 0x0D0A as its line
> endings, even when the jar file containing this manifest was generated
> on a linux platform.  this is not the case with our implementation of
> the JarOutputStream which uses the platform-specific line endings.

This kind of makes sense. If you read the original specification it
looks like a Manifest file was meant to be "robust" even when
transferred through email. So a lot of conventions are taken from
RFC822. Since according to RFC822 (header) lines should end with CRLF it
isn't so strange to adopt this convention for Manifest files.
See http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/signedobj/jarfile/jar.htm
(unfortunately down at the moment)

Cheers,

Mark