Hi Philippe,

Please try to keep the lists on topic. And please keep runtime specific
stuff on the specific runtime lists. Don't cross-post unnecessary
(others have also done that, it is not just you). People please keep
non-classpath specific stuff off the GNU Classpath developers list. GCJ,
kaffe, jamvm, sablevm, etc. all have their own mailinglists. When
appropriate move the discussion to one of those.

GNU Classpath is a bit of a "neutral zone". We do all meet here, but we
try to focus on the technical issues that are cross-runtime, compiler,
execution-environment, platform, etc. And we do try to help each other
solving technical issues in a way that is as efficient as possible
across platforms. Sure GNU Classpath is part of "the GNU solution" and
obviously GCC/GCJ is a big part of that. But we explicitly work together
with all the other environments. We organize meetings with all the other
projects (like you saw during Fosdem). And we learn from each other. It
isn't a place to criticize or question people or projects on the why or
how they run projects their own GNU Classpath based projects.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm and I am glad I saw some technical stuff
about getting the gtk+ awt peers better on the maemo platform. That is
what we want to see here!

> I don't have the time to go around and check old information and then
> ask if it's current.

Please do your homework. Other people spend time and energy trying to
answer questions for you. I am sure not everything is always documented
fully and if so please do ask. But please do read a bit more about the
projects you are asking questions about before firing off lots
questions to this list that could have been resolved by either reading a
bit more about the other projects or that could have been asked on a
specific other project list.

> Now, where are you guys coordinating a free embedded Java strategy?

There isn't 1 free embedded "Java" strategy. And from your postings I am
not clear which "embedded" strategy you are looking for.

- If it is finding a free J2ME counterpart to GNU Classpath please look
  in the archives and talk to the people working on that:
  http://www.spindazzle.org/green/index.php?p=67
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2005-11/msg00037.html
- If it is finding a really small runtime then go look at jamvm.
  You met Robert at Fosdem so just send him an email with how you would
  like to work together.
- If it is finding a free WinCE supported environment talk to either the
  MySaifu developers, the IKVM developers to see if they have a WinCE
  port (if dotgnu/mono is supported on that), the Kaffe developers
  wanting to import the old WinCE port or the gcj port (WinCE is not
  something a lot of people concentrate on since as far as I know it
  isn't a free platform, but I am sure there are a lot of supporting
  companies that will be happy to get GCJ fully working for you on it).
- If it is finding how to best support maemo then talk to the various
  GNU/Linux distributors that most closely mimic maemo. They probably
  use GNU/GCC/GTK+/Gnome as environment for most programs, so talk to
  them to see how gcj, java-gnome, etc fit in there. This is probably
  the area were there is the most interest since lots of people already
  work on a GNU/Linux platform with gtk+ so this is the most attractive
  option to get the broadest support.

On the GNU Classpath mailinglist we coordinate how best to support all
the various environments build on top of GNU Classpath. If your talks
with the people/projects above lead to some interesting technical issues
on how we can improve GNU Classpath to better support such environments
then please do contact us again and we will try to help. But please
experiment a bit first and make sure you have enough experience with the
various projects to focus on technical details.

> How do you defend people wasting their energy on [Project X], while there is
> not a bit of anything in it that is unique.

Now this is completely inappropriate for this list. And I even doubt it
would be appreciated on the Project X mailinglist.

Cheers,

Mark