Hi Christian,

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 15:07 +0100, Christian Thalinger wrote:
> An eclipse-3.2.1 startup-and-shutdown:
>
> 3808 class loads
> 10   classes have a finalizer
> 4    of them are empty
>
> Make your own decision :-)

Thanks for those stats! But aren't we actually interested in the number
of instances of those 4 classes with empty finalizers (as percentage of
object instances with and without finalizers)? I assume that the
accounting and processing is per instance of such classes that are
garbage collected. Then again I clearly have never written a garbage
collector, especially not one that has to take into account all the
tricks of java finalization.

Is there any measurable runtime difference between the version that does
and doesn't do empty-finalizer-erasure?

Cheers,

Mark