Hi Davanum,

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 10:46 -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Wanted to poll everyone on what their thoughts are regarding
> certification. Feathercast has an interview with Geir [1] outlining
> our current situation and the open letter [2] we sent to Sun.
>
> - Would anyone working of the VM's based on classpath be interested in
> the TCK? (Yes, i know Dalibor tried once before)

Yes, but the TCK is many things. Source code tests, compatibility
claims, certification processes, trademarks, branding rights &
obligations, etc. Some of these don't really make sense for a free
software project, or at least to the . Certification is often tied to a
specific binary release on a specific hardware/platform. GNU Classpath
does only release source code for example. But extra tests are always
welcome.

We did indeed try to get access to the JCK (that is the TCK covering the
core java platform) about 2.5 years ago. But that soon stopped because
of NDA restrictions that just don't make sense for any open distributed
collaborative effort like GNU Classpath, Kaffe, GCJ, etc.

> - If so, Would you be willing to accept "Field of Use" restriction
> basically telling downstream users where/how they can use your code?

It was unclear what these 'restrictions' actually were from reading that
letter and the faq. Do they hold for the source code or only for the
certified binaries for a specific platform? Anyway, the only
'restrictions' that we would accept for the GNU Classpath code would be
that people share-and-share-alike as stipulated in the GPL.

Cheers,

Mark