On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 09:33 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Martin> Each time we change the ClassLoader.java class, compilation
> Martin> lasts quite a long and I am not really convinced that
> Martin> everything need to be recompiled. I am quite a beginner with
> Martin> Makefile but it seems that no real check is done and
> Martin> everything is compiled by default.
>
> Martin> Maybe you can give me some tricks on that or tell me what method you
> Martin> use when hacking Classpath.
>
> IMNSHO, the best way to do incremental development on Classpath is to
> use Eclipse.  It will only recompile the minimum necessary when you
> make a change.  There a HOWTO for setting this up on the wiki -- it
> isn't as trivial as we would like, but it is doable, and once you have
> it set up you rarely have to tweak it.

That page is here btw:
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathHackingWithEclipse
It is slightly easier than described there now that the CDT is usually
available in most distros out of the box.

It sounds like an interesting hack to the ClassLoader. Please do let us
know how it works out.

Cheers,

Mark