On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 10:38 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Mark Wielaard writes:
>  >
>  > :) I am not sure inserting ant in the build process will improve things.
>
> Me either.  I'd like to fix the build dependencies so that make -j
> could speed things up on machines with many processors, but switching
> to Ant wouldn't help that at all.
>
>  > But autoconfiscating openjdk would be nice.
>
> That would effectively be a fork, unless we could persuade upstream to
> accept autoconf as well.   What would the benefits of autoconf be?

It would potentially make it much more portable like we have with for
example gnu classpath & gcj (although I keep seeing complaints on other
lists from people who cannot make things work on things like solaris or
aix - please report those bugs upstream people! - so maybe these days
autoconf isn't as sure proof a way to get things portable as it used to
be, or maybe GNU/Linux really is the only interesting posix-like system
left). But, yeah, it was also a bit of a joke, I regard antifiscation
and autoconfiscation equally likely to happen (although at least the
later seems to be in the works by at least Andrew and Dalibor for the
tools and javac in openjdk).

Cheers,

Mark