I'd like to revisit this subject again and ask if any new insights are
available as to why albums are being sorted to the "Various Artists"
category rather than being placed under their respective Artist listings.

Sam's idea regarding the comma in the Artist name doesn't seem to have
anything to do with it.  Almost all of my albums reside under directories
with 'Last, First' names and have similar entries for Artist, Album Artist,
and Composer fields and get displayed properly under the Artist "Last,
First" name in the Clementine library.  Additionally, there is an album
under the Various Artists category with the album title "Round Midnight"
and the artist "Levitas Brothers" which has no comma.  There are albums
that contain only a single song, so it isn't even a case of comparing
differences between multiple songs.

I have done an exhaustive scan of the tags for all songs in the 12 albums
that are showing up there and have found nothing that would seem to trigger
a Various Artists identification.  One classical album has different values
for the "Conductor" tag, while most albums don't have this field defined.
Some of the albums have the "Compilation" tag marked Yes while other are
No.  In every album, all of the songs have identical "Artist" and "Album
artist" tags.

Can someone working on the code examine what is sorting albums to the
Various artists category.  Is it based upon internal tags or could
something external related to directory or file names be responsible.  It
certainly seems like a serious bug to me.