Maybe try to see if the issue happens with other players or versions? I
have a far larger collection (~100,000 tracks) and I do not have any issues
with Clementine detecting all the MP3s.

What could be, but may be strange, is that *maybe* there could be some
issues with the names of folders? Maybe their are missing the extension?
Sometimes Clementine does not add files based on its extension, even if
they are valid audio file.

Also, maybe you can try Clementine in windows and see if the issue
continues? (I use it on windows and had not issues with it)