Garthhh,
This problem is back with a vengeance. BTW, downloading from site, as
you advised, and locally compiling never helped. Anyway, I recently
found my PC spontaneously rebooted but in bad shape. Now, when
clementine is running all shifted (uppercase and symbols) keyboard
input is corrupted. Killing clementine restores the keyboard. However,
my sound card now appears to be dead, whether clementine is running or
not and no matter what sound program is running (mplayer, etc.), no
sound output. It seems that clementine also corrupted something
essential for sound to work, perhaps a module or the soundcard,
itself. So, it seems, from the keyboard corruption and the sound card
problems, clementine is reaching into non-user address space and
causing havoc. Also, for the past couple of years, while clementine is
running. the PC randomly reboots and/or the window manager dies.