Hi,
pretty late, but only now I re-visited this group :-)
my personal feeling is that this behavior is hard-coded in the program
somewhere; because it does not appear to be any sort of option in the
preferences related to this; the only option, partially related to the
Album Artist tag is in the last.fm branch in the preferences, where you may
activate the option to use Album Artist instead of the main Artist tag when
scrobbling to last.fm

I've noticed other behavior very related to the one you mentioned in your
post:
if you do *not* have an Album tag at all (meaning it is empty), Clementine
will display as album the current folder name where the file is located !
And this is particularly bad to the same relation with last.fm I've
mentioned above (it will scrobble a bad name for the album if you let it
like this).

This was not always like so ! My first use of Clementine, I remember that
such files (that only have the title tag, or not even that) were displayed
with the album empty, as it should be normal, at least from my point of
view.

Thus I feel that this behavior is encoded in the program as default
behavior and is not something that could be changed in the preferences.

P.S. I just checked this with Strawberry, which is the derivative program
from Clementine (and it is mentioned in some other posts here in the group,
in the more recent posts from this year), and which still keeps/uses that
initial behavior I remember from Clementine in the "old days" : Strawberry
displays an empty album tag if this is not present in the music file; this
is also particular bad if even the title tag itself is missing: the program
displays the full filename as title tag (I mean you see the filename.mp3
instead of the title --- this is particular bad in relation to the same
last.fm I did mention above). And in strict relation to you question,
Strawberry does not display anything in the Album Artist column if this tag
is empty -- and this is also the normal behavior (at least for me, also).