Hi everybody.  This is a heads-up for 3rd-party client developers.

I should have sent this out when the feature first went in, but it
wasn't on my mind.  My apologies.

Shortly after CASSANDRA-44 (create KS/CF on a live cluster) was
committed, we had a request to provide a way to update those settings
(CASSANDRA-1285).  That feature was committed to trunk on 3 Sept and
will be part of 0.7-beta2 when it is released.

As you would expect, there are settings you cannot and should not
modify.  Here are the settings you *can* modify.  For the most part,
if you try to update a field not included here, an exception will be
thrown:

CfDef:
comment
row_cache_size
preload_row_cache
key_cache_size
read_repair_chance
gc_grace_seconds
default_validation_class

column_metadata (we'll allow this one to be modified if/when
CASSANDRA-1415 goes in)

KsDef:
strategy_class
strategy_options,
replication_factor
* make sure you do not include any CF definitions, or an error is thrown. *

These are exposed on the server as system_update_keyspace and
system_update_column_family.

Please note: any housekeeping required by modifying one of these
fields must be manually performed on the cluster via nodetool (e.g.:
repair or cleanup).

Cheers,

Gary.